09 Oct BALANCING ACT
Oftentimes I wonder if other mothers also find themselves in that spot where we need to decide how to balance between godly training and keeping trendy.
This post seeks to know what your take is on this topic, so your candid response will be appreciated as we offer counsel that will in the long run help us do better.
Sometime last week I had a conversation with a parent who wanted to know where to draw the line as regards fashion trends.
1. What is fashionable for a Christian child? Hairstyles, is it okay for our girls to braid with coloured weaves? Is it okay for our boys to wear dreads and studs?
2. Is it proper for us as parents to accept every invitation to birthday parties, for the sake of being courteous?
3. There’s so much content out there; music, television programs, social media. Can we really stop our children from listening to these music, watch these programs or stay off social media?
4. What age do we say is safe to allow these children make their own decisions and choices?
5. Is it really appropriate to allow our children be trendy, flow with what’s in vogue?
There’s always a tendency to be over protective, sometimes, but the truth is that our children are growing up and need to learn necessary decision making skills in order to understand that life is about actions and consequences.
While we have to play our roles as parents we must prepare them for life eventually.
This said, the presence of the ‘seemingly distractions’ all around us and the need to bring up a balanced child stares us in the face daily thereby requiring us to do our homework thoroughly.
How do you balance your parenting style?